RE: WebID-ISSUE-19: x509v3 Independence and TLS Extensions [WebID Spec]

in windows world this is done all the time. There are probably a hundred of them, for each "variant" of https/SSL applied to some application or other. It acts as descriminator when switching and enforcing type systems security policies.

Its quite normal to do what you suggest.

For example, a little titbit of real life not far from what we are doing here with SSL, from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee516808(WS.10).aspx. It shows an example of a type enforcer that requires an EKU to identity a particular validity procedure to be used to evaluate the SSL client auth-delivered claim. Intelectually, you have to "claim" the validity model (that I called a reliance trust model, not that it matters).