Re: Important Question re. WebID Verifiers & Linked Data

On 21 Dec 2011, at 14:46, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

> Is a WebID verifier supposed to be a Linked Data consumer ?
> Is a WebID verifier supposed to be an RDF consumer?
>
> Please understand that RDF != Linked Data. It's just one of the options for creating and publishing Linked Data.

If, as you say (and I’d agree), RDF-published-as-Linked Data is one of the options of “Linked Data”, then WebID is surely  both — but it's possible that it isn't a Linked Data consumer for all of the different flavours of Linked Data that you’d like.

>From my reading of the specification, right now, a WebID verifier is a Linked Data consumer which is capable of consuming RDF/XML and RDFa. It could consume other things as well, but those two are what's baked into the spec. A consumer which can *also* handle XRDS, InfoCard and HTML5 Microdata is also fine and conformant.

> In addition:
>
> Is a WebID verifier supposed to be an HTTP client?

At a minimum, yes. As with the representations, there's no reason why it can't be an HTTP client and also an LDAP client and a WHOIS client and a HKP client…

> Is a WebID verifier supposed to be able to leverage HTTP content negotiation?

Yes. If nothing else, the suggested WebID URI pattern won’t work for the vast majority of people without conneg…

M.

--
Mo McRoberts - Technical Lead - The Space,
0141 422 6036 (Internal: 01-26036) - PGP key CEBCF03E,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/