Re: the openid para

On 4/28/11 12:51 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> Dont forget that OpenID was originally based on FOAF.  OpenID and
> WebID have many common strengths, they are probably more important to
> focus on, than the differences, imho.
Yep!

And the unintuitive URL as personal identifier muddled things up.

The Name Reference (de-reference / indirection operator) and Location
Name (address-of operator) aspects of URI and URLs remain confusing.
Ironically, the folks behind billions of systems on this planet already
ready grok de-reference (indirection) and address-of unary operators.
Trouble is they don't see, feel, or hear this when they encounter
narratives about:

1. URI abstraction
2. Move from URLs to URI Name Ref. focus due to abstraction shift re.
how we can now use the Web -- Linked Data .

Imagine if all these seasoned programmers realized that URI abstraction
delivers the nirvana they've fantasized about for eons re., ability to
exploit these time tested operators at InterWeb scale. The impact of
this is equivalent to self democratization in middle east and Africa. We
spent years shedding blood and burning national treasuries only to see
the very quest (democracy I hope!) manifest naturally.

DCOM, CORBA, IIOP, Cairo, DCE, ONC, you name it, are all blood and
treasure equivalents re. quest to apply de-reference (indirection) and
address-of operators at Network scales re. data access by reference
patten. Fundamental problem with the lot: each sought to push a platform
specific religion.

In the real world, while blood and treasure was being burnt world wide,
little Facebook and Twitter connected people across the Middle East and
Africa. The impossible took shape and just happened. The same thing will
eventually happen re. Web of Linked Data, not because I say so, simply
because it's all wired into our natural evolution and ultimate destiny
of the InterWeb :-)

Why does WebID ultimately work and stand on its own merits? Its security
based on  trust logic that's driven by data access by reference. That
claim is implicitly platform agnostic if we ensure that URIs are
sacrosanct.

President&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com