RE: Position Paper for W3C Workshop on Identity

Those are properties of most identity schemes.

What is different about webid is nicely characterized in the paper. It makes
its case, broadly on lines we all agree here. The question now is tuning it
for "receptivity" - for the audience (and the reviewers). Its not an
academic paper. It's a starting position for a negotiation.

We have to remember the process: find the sweet spots that product manager
types responding to the US national id stragety now recognize as valuable,
and then choose some small n things that all browser vendors do that benefit
several groups' agendas.  In all likelihood, server platforms may need to
have m changes, too (e.g. better TLS ClientHello support...).

If browser vendors could do X that both helps openid and helps webid
(because they use a common element, that can be improved) this is what we
want to address - surely. It's not a competition between schemes, but a
process for enabling several scheme to go play on a better baseline than we
have today (since the browser and https client certs are stuck in ~2000 era
thinking, locked up in anti-PKI rants).

Refining the existing Opera panel which shows which client cert is active,
with webid-relevant information, seems an obvious win. If that same panel
could say: And the IDP consuming the client cert asserted to RP R (now shown
in your tab), and R has the following site properties, even better. The
browser panel PER-TAB can render the RP' sites metadata as validated by the
IDP (just as we are advocating the browser render the user's metadata).

Just need to think different. But, the core thesis is good. Its just a
question of delivering the punch, now, not educating more, to win some
votes.