RE: operating and survival conditions

What is the rationale behind URLs like

http://purl.oclc.org/NET/muo/ucum/unit/temperature/degree-Celsius ?

1.  It appears that the project that set this up stopped in 2008
2.  It doesn't appear to offer any real semantic value - the RDF seems to be
confined to rdf:type information, which doesn't get you far. No definitions,
conversions, or even links to more authoritative definitions.
3.  The slash URI ultimately maps to a # URI, which implies a finite set in
a primary-resource, which is not scalable for an unbounded set like units of
measure. (Compare this with the OGC URI scheme, which allows any terminal
symbol that can be constructed following the UCUM algorithm - i.e. it
effectively delegates the detail to UCUM. )
4.  I'm a bit baffled why they call it 'ucum' but then do *not* use the
symbols defined in UCUM

I fully agree that an authoritative source of URIs for units and quantities
is required, but submit that this is a poor choice.

Simon Cox

European Commission, Joint Research Centre
Institute for Environment and Sustainability
Spatial Data Infrastructures Unit, TP 262
Via E. Fermi, 2749, I-21027 Ispra (VA), Italy
Tel: +39 0332 78 3652
Fax: +39 0332 78 6325
mailto:simon.cox@jrc.ec.europa.eu
http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/simon-cox

SDI Unit: http://sdi.jrc.ec.europa.eu/
IES Institute: http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/
JRC: http://www.jrc.ec.europa.eu/

Any opinions expressed are personal unless otherwise indicated.