New SSN version

Hi,

The new version of the SSN XG ontology with the changes resulting from yesterday's teleconference and with the extra annotations added by my script is now available at
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/images/3/36/Ssn.xml

Your feedback is welcome on these additions via the mailing list and we'll have a discussion to hopefully wrap this up (the new classes and properties, the PURL namespace, and the changes in the documentation script) at the next teleconf.

Next week, I also want to discuss our need for better graphics. Can I ask for volunteers to prepare some figures for the main classes of the ontology and also for the deployment and platform classes? I think it should be possible to feed COE with the right subset of the ontology thanks to my effort to re-order it by "section" (see my ideas below).

NEW CLASSES AND PROPERTIES

There are some changes which needs to be documented between the ontologies released this week and the previous version (SensorBasis.owl with the old namespace) published last month).

I have added the following classes as extra Measurement capabilities:
Precision, ResponseTime, Sensitivity, Selectivity, DetectionLimit and Drift This addition was announced in this email:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-ssn/2010Jul/0009.html

Michael has also added a few classes (see list below). Most of them were already added in the version I released last week.

Michael has added a few property chain axioms in relation to our discussion at the last teleconf:

- observes (= measures) http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/SSN#observes

madeObservation o observedProperty <= observes

(madeObservation is inverse of procedure-1)

hasMeasurementCapability o forProperty <= observes

- deployed on platform
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/SSN#deployedOnPlatform

deployedSystem o onPlatform <= deployedOnPlatform

CHANGE OF PURL NAMESPACE

The new version uses a namespace base "http://purl.oclc.org/NET/ssnx/ssn" which is declared on purl.org (I could not get /NET/ssn/...).
I've opted for a 303 permanent url (the type which corresponds to Semantic Web resources). It is set up to redirect the users to the wiki page with the documentation http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/SSN (I've use a configuration which is the same as what was done for the MUO ontology).

Examples:
- http://purl.org/NET/ssnx/ssn#Sensor will get you to http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/SSN#Sensor

Please test if the configuration works for your environment.

NEW DOCO

I have re-worked the documentation generation tool and find a more direct way to transform the output to the wiki (cleanup with Amaya first and then copy via Firefox to Open Office and then export as MediaWiki and finally fix the local links. I'm quite happy with the result. I hope you'll like it too.

I have also done some experiments to create HTML-formatted content out of the wiki content. I'll report on my findings next week.

NEED FOR BETTER GRAPHICS (separate wiki page and XG report)

For the Ontology report, we need better graphics to each sections of the ontology (the "sections" are derived from the rdfs:seeAlso annotations defined for the generation of the documentation http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/SSN )

The "see also" annotations are designed to correspond to the yet to be added "manually written" documentation pages for the ontology (= the figures plus the text which will also be included in the ontology deliverable)

The intent is that one wiki page will be created for each URL used for the see also annotations.
Note: for the http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/wiki/SSN_Base we need to create a [[SSN Base]] wiki page.

There are many wiki pages yet to be created to support this scheme. We need to be sure if we have the right sections first. Having the graphics would help.

Now that the classes in the OWL file are also ordered by section, it should be easier to use a tool like the CMAP Ontology Editor (http://www.ihmc.us/groups/coe/ ) to create the figures.

Cheers
Laurent