Re: SSN-XG Meeting Minutes 20-May-2009

OGC  has a  specification to encode GML in JPEGs.
http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/gmljp2.
Which in general terms is encoding"standard"  metadata in a file
format. Following the same pattern, I think MPEG-V contains metadata.

SensorML could not only be used to encode sensors and sensors systems,
but procedures. And if properly annotated (following best practices,
from this group), I see it could be used in multimedia format like
MPEG. However, I see they have allready define their own schemas about
how to describe "sensory information" and  they also specify syntax
and semantics of the sensory effect vocabulary:

Light, colored light, flash light;
Temperature;
Wind;
Vibration;
Water sprayer;
Scent;
Fog;
Shadow;
Color correction;

So, if they are contemplating to use SensorML with properly annotated
semantics, I think they could provide useful feedback in our
recommendations. Also a possible future alignment is to harmonize the
schemas and ontologies. I see for example a case where an observatory
could be presented as a virtual environment. The observatory speaks
SOS while the virtual environment speaks MPEG-V, those a need for the
harmonization.

-Luis

___
Luis Bermudez Ph.D.
Coastal Research Technical Manager
Southeastern Universities Research Association (SURA)
bermudez@sura.org - Office: (202) 408-8211
1201 New York Ave. NW Suite 430, Washington DC 20005