Re: World Map of Social Networks

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Ted Thibodeau Jr
<tthibodeau@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2010, at 08:14 AM, Harry Halpin wrote:
>
>> This appears to be the most current map of social networking [1].
>> Shall I ask for the permission of the Italian blogger to use it with
>> attribution?
>>
>> Also, FYI, it shows nicely the growing dominance of Facebook, since
>> the blogger made one the same time in 2009 [2]. However, his
>> underlying data is Alexa (yeah!) and Google Trends (not sure about).
>>
>> [1] http://www.vincos.it/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/wmsn-01-10.png
>> [2] http://www.vincos.it/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/wmsn-12-09.png
>

> These maps aren't terribly interesting to me.  They (appear to) show
> only the most popular (measured how?  regular users?  registrants?)
> site/network/service in a given country.

We can ask the blogger.

> This fails to show whether a site/network/service is of interest to
> a region within a country ... or whether it is only interesting to
> *one* country ... or whether it has smaller but broader interest,
> with users across many countries in a region, though it does not
> dominate any country ... among other more useful comparisons.

Region is ill-defined. Anyways, if you can find any better maps or
graphics, do tell me, but you might need to pose a limited set of
questions that such a visualization should anser. I think we need at
least one, but I don't really have the time or talent to make one :)