Re: World Map of Social Networks

On Aug 26, 2010, at 08:14 AM, Harry Halpin wrote:

> This appears to be the most current map of social networking [1].
> Shall I ask for the permission of the Italian blogger to use it with
> attribution?
>
> Also, FYI, it shows nicely the growing dominance of Facebook, since
> the blogger made one the same time in 2009 [2]. However, his
> underlying data is Alexa (yeah!) and Google Trends (not sure about).
>
> [1] http://www.vincos.it/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/wmsn-01-10.png
> [2] http://www.vincos.it/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/wmsn-12-09.png

These maps aren't terribly interesting to me.  They (appear to) show
only the most popular (measured how?  regular users?  registrants?)
site/network/service in a given country.

This fails to show whether a site/network/service is of interest to
a region within a country ... or whether it is only interesting to
*one* country ... or whether it has smaller but broader interest,
with users across many countries in a region, though it does not
dominate any country ... among other more useful comparisons.

Given that they were built on many-eyes, it seems likely that the
underlying data should be not-too-difficult to get, and thus that
some of the above questions could be answerable, and those answers
presented ... in which case I'm more inclined to favor inclusion.

As they stand, I don't think either is worth inclusion.

Be seeing you,

Ted