Re: Role of W3C in Open-Microblgging, and standards for the Social Web in general?

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Evan Prodromou <evan@status.net> wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I see OWF as an incubator or umbrella of sorts (I too am a member
>> but confess to being slightly mystified about the focus, as well).
>>

> That's not what the OWF does! It's pretty important to note that. Here's a
> link to a discussion I had on the subject earlier this year:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/open-web-discuss/browse_thread/thread/91329d5e80b3fa89
>
> I've asked several times for help from the OWF in incubating OMB. I've been
> told pretty clearly that their role is... something... related to laying out
> IP agreements... or something... and helping people make standards is
> totally outside their goals.

 Not sure re incubation. We just had David Recordon from OWF on the
phone talking about the legal side as well of OWF.

> I would really be excited by any help in moving OMB forward from the W3C. We
> definitely need it!

if you want a solution right now, I think for OMB the quick and easy
thing to do start an W3C Incubator Group Read this quickly [1]:

http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/how-to.html

You just write a charter (which could be done here, feel free to take
a look at our charter [2]) and then get 3 W3C members to endorse. That
shouldn't be hard - there's members on this list I think that would be
happy to help.

An Incubator Group then gives OMB a homepage, a listserv, IRC, telecon
chats, even if you want the W3C patent policy, etc. for a year. It's
also no commitment, since at the end of the XG, then you and the rest
of the group can decide to start a W3C Working Group and then go
through the process of becoming a W3C Recommendation (although
quicker, since you've done your work in the XG).

We can also add the case of OMB to our final report as a standard in a
space that needs to be standardized by someone like the W3C, and
hopefully we'll get W3C folks talking to OWF about legalese :)

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/how-to.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/charter