Re: What is a social network?

On 9 Jun 2009, at 14:53, Christine Perey wrote:

> I suggest that we take a stab at a W3C Social Web XG 'accepted'
> definition of scope.

A very good discussion topic. Here's my stab at an answer...

A social network is any website or collection of websites that:

1. Allows agents (who will generally be people, but could be
organisations, etc) to acquire accounts or use accounts they already
have (e.g. OpenID, FOAF+SSL);
2. Allows them to express information about themselves in a profile
which is accessible to at least some other members of the social
network;
3. Sources at least some of its content from its users.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>