Re: where does access time belong in the provenance dimension?

Hey Paul,

On Friday 04 December 2009 17:42:34 you wrote:
> Hi Olaf,
>
> It seems to me that the generation time of information is part of the
> process (e.g.  b was generated from a version of x that was created at
> 10:13) Thus, I think it belongs under the process dimension.

I agree: the generation time (or creation time as I called it in the
timeliness use case) belongs to the process dimension.

However, the use case mentions another time: the access time. Both, b and c,
were created by using x and before using x it had to be retrieved from the
Web. The use case demonstrates that information about the access time might
be relevant for timeliness assessment (due to missing information about the
creation time of x in the case of Carol's data creation). The question is, to
which of the dimensions in the Content category does the access time belong.
I think it doesn't fit in one of the proposed dimensions. Instead, I suggest
to add another dimension, called "Data Access", here. This dimension comprises
all kinds of information about the access of data items on the Web. This
includes not only access time but, for instance, information what server has
been accessed as well as the provider/operator of the server. Such information
might also be relevant in other information quality assessment scenarios not
just timeliness. For instance, in the other use case discussed today - simple
trustworthiness: here we have Alice providing a data publishing server.
Someone may decide not to trust any data accessed from this server because
he/she thinks Alice is not trustworthy and may have manipulated Bob's and
Carol's data provided by her server. And again, it's not just about the access
of the assessed data itself but also about the access of source data as the
timeliness use case illustrates.

Greetings,
Olaf