Re: [Web Standards Project] Organizational White Paper draft

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tom Worthington wrote:
> Aaron Gustafson wrote:
>
>>    I've posted my draft of the organizational white paper to the
>>    wiki and it is open for comments/edits. ...
>> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/owea/wiki/Organizational_White_Paper
>
> This white paper seems to be entirely about if OWEA should be
> for-profit, non-profit and part of W3C.
>
> As the activity is hosted by W3C, I assumed it would be non-profit
> within W3C and can't see the need for this extensive discussion of the
> issue.

We are currently an incubator group and not a full activity at the W3C, and one of our primary goals is to determine what would be a sustainable way to continue the efforts of OWEA given the particular needs of working with both educational sectors and the industry. We recognise that for the work of OWEA to continue, we must give thought to the type of organisation that will be able to continue carrying forward the work we have begun.

This (draft) whitepaper is part of a greater deliverable, as documented here on our charter page:
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/owea/#Deliverables

The final whitepaper will contain the topics discussed at our recent F2F Summit:

* Type of Organization
* Membership
* Sustainability and Resourcing
* Course Content Policies
* Outreach
* Intellectual Property Policies

> It worries me that so much effort is being devoted to organizational
> structures, and little to actual educational objectives. There are many
> who would benefit from web education. I suggest that we need to look
> beyond the usual technical elite.

It's perhaps worth noting that the core team members of OWEA are all already actively participating from an educational standpoint.

There was also a lot of work done with regards to educational content and outreach from the recent F2F summit. Please add your thoughts and comments on the following public wiki pages, we value input and feedback:

http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/owea/wiki/Course_Content_Policies
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/owea/wiki/Outreach

You can also follow our activities through our meeting minutes.
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/owea/wiki/Meeting_Minutes

We do post public reminders for our regular fortnightly conference calls, and anyone interested in OWEA's effort is welcome to join.

best,
-steph