Re: Wiki page on Goals

Hi Jeff,

On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 12:27:54PM -0500, Jeff Young wrote:
> The OWL solution would be for DC to coin owl:DatatypeProperties and
> owl:ObjectProperties as rdfs:subPropertyOf of their existing
> rdf:Properties. As distasteful as that is, I assume that rules-based
> alternatives will be ignored.

DCMI has already declared http://purl.org/dc/terms/creator with
a range of dcterms:Agent, and it is indeed a sub-property of
http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/creator (the property which
is _probably_ intended in the example below because the /1.1/
namespace is most commonly bound to the dc: prefix).  I'd like
to understand better what specific advantage DCMI would gain
by declaring it as an owl:ObjectProperty as opposed to leaving
it as an RDF property with a resource class as its range.

You are not the first person to propose this, but in order
to progress this proposal, DCMI would need to have a clear
understanding of the benefits, and whether the interpretation
of existing data would be at all negatively impacted by the
change.

Tom

--
Thomas Baker <tbaker@tbaker.de>