RE: Wiki page on Goals

I'm not an expert on RDFS, but I'm pretty sure the range setting
dcterms:creator means it can't take a literal value. This seems to be
acknowledge here:

"Thus, dc:creator will still have an unspecified range and can be used
with both literal and non-literal values, while dcterms:creator will
have a (non-literal) range of Agent."
<http://dublincore.org/documents/dc-rdf-notes/#sect-3>

I assume this is hard to explain and enforce in a way that compromises
data usability. I think that literal values for creator (and similar
elements) are important use cases and deserve to be brought forward in a
cleaner way. Conversely, the subject property (and a few others) have
potential for linking that is being overlooked. Here is how I imagine it
for "subject":

x-dcterms:subject a owl:DatatypeProperty ;
	rdfs:subPropertyOf dc:subject .

x-dcterms:subjectRef a owl:ObjectProperty ;
	rdfs:subPropertyOf dc:subject ;
	rdfs:range skos:Concept # or some other lightweight/schematic
abstraction

The rdfs:subPropertyOf gives the dc:subject element continued reasoning
value in messy datasets.

If this was done for all elements, then something like
<http://purl.org/dc/terms/> could be migrated to an owl:Ontology. I
assume the asymmetry of subject/subjectRef vs. creator/creatorVal would
be too discouraging for upgrading dcterms in place. If dcterms was
frozen, though, and development shifted to a rebranded DC-OWL with
subjectVal/subjectRef out-of-the-box, it might not be too onerous.

Jeff