Re: Web Audio API is now available in Chrome

From: David Humphrey <David.Humphrey@senecac.on.ca>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 12:16:34 -0500
To: Jussi Kalliokoski <jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com>
Cc: public-xg-audio@w3.org
> As for the web workers, it would be pretty cool if Moz got it working. I did
> an experiment few months ago, which does the processing in a worker, then
> passes it to back to the script, but it couldn't handle realtime without
> pops and clips (and thus the whole thing was pretty unsafe as I did some bad
> coding, and when those were combined I'd get a buffer underflow, and a
> serious memory leak).

What we're exploring now is a way for a worker to talk directly to the
audio back-end.  There won't be latency issues, because you will feed
the audio buffers from underneath, as it were, bypassing the main thread
altogether.  The current issues you have are the result of workers
needing to write the audio from the main thread.  Our initial tests with
this have been very good, but we're figuring out a proper interface and
some impl details.

Dave