Re: Web Audio API Proposal

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2010, at 4:38 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
> I claim that stringing together a series of SVG filters to achieve the
> effect you want is often more clumsy and lower performance than writing the
> effect directly in a more programmable model --- even if you find the
> simplest possible set of filters that work.
>
> What more programmable model is available to test this statement against?

GLSL? I think almost any "programmable model" would do a better job on
monstrosities like this:
http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/layout/tools/reftest/reftest-analyzer.xhtml#299

> OK, but is there any evidence that they're complete? What fraction of use
> cases would be forced to resort to JS-based sample processing?
>
> We can't know that.

We can at least collect use cases, starting with existing demos that get
direct access to samples, and see how many of them fit.

> I have never seen anyone implement their own kinds of curves in 2D canvas
> because Beziers weren't adequate to describe their paths.
>

> I don't want to belabor this point, but there are many mathematical curve
> types that can't be represented with cubic beziers. These are usually
> approximated with piecewise linear curves.

I understand that, but I have not seen JS canvas apps doing this, which
suggests that for the vast majority of canvas use cases, Beziers suffice.

Rob
53:5-6]