Re: Music Synthesis

On Jun 15, 2010, at 2:34 PM, Chris Grigg wrote:

> Thanks for responding, Rob.
>
>> What are your target platforms, specifically?
>

> Yes, that was exactly my question:  What are our target platforms?  That is a question for the whole group, not just me.  We have to decide that.  IMHO characterizing our target platforms, plus deciding what our target functionality requirements are, would be a significantly better place to start deliberations than to begin by asking which of a few pre-existing proposals we want to go with.  Then we could evaluate specific proposals against the requirements, and either modify them or create a new one to satisfy the requirements.

My own preference for target would reach as low as current-generation smartphones and tablets, with the ability to do reasonably advanced sound processing, such as what would be required for a game or simple music application (like a DJ mixer or simple sequencer). At the very least, this should include platforms where native apps can do this.

I think that to reach this target, we probably need to provide some built-in components, to be able to take advantage of hardware and hand-tuned native code when possible. I also agree with Chris Rogers that, even if doing all synthesis in JS could lead to acceptable performance, it's still an uncomfortably low-level API, and we should provide higher-level functionality. Sound APIs for native platforms provide a lot more than just the ability to emit samples, just as graphics APIs provide more than just the ability to push pixels.

Regards,
Maciej