Re: Web Audio API Proposal

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com> wrote:

>  Including a richer set of higher-level graphics APIs in canvas and WebGL
> is important not only for the obvious performance issues, but also because
> the APIs are higher-level and more directly useful to the javascript
> developer.  Similarly, for audio we face the same types of performance
> issues, but equally important is the need for a higher-level API.

In WebGL we actually provide a relatively low-level API and JS developers
pretty much have to use libraries to build real applications.

In general I think we should expect developers to have to use libraries to
build complex applications. Hard-coding every desirable effect or feature
directly into every browser is not sustainable. The Web has already gone far
too far down that road.

 I don't believe that simply moving the JS processing to a web worker is
> going to solve all of the glitching and latency issues.

What fundamental limitations to do you see?

Some effects *can* be made fast enough.  But some very common cases can't be
> made fast enough

Which cases?

Rob
53:5-6]