Re: Music Synthesis

Thanks for responding, Rob.

> What are your target platforms, specifically?

Yes, that was exactly my question:  What are our target platforms?  That is a question for the whole group, not just me.  We have to decide that.  IMHO characterizing our target platforms, plus deciding what our target functionality requirements are, would be a significantly better place to start deliberations than to begin by asking which of a few pre-existing proposals we want to go with.  Then we could evaluate specific proposals against the requirements, and either modify them or create a new one to satisfy the requirements.

> We should do experiments on a mobile device and report back.

The characterization would have to be somewhat more complicated than that.  Even within mobile devices with web browsers there is a huge range of capability, it's not just a single data point.

> Anyway, we need to plan for the future, and it seems safe to assume that JS optimization techniques will spread to every platform where they're useful.

The more important the project, the more closely any assumptions should be examined.  So I would ask that a little differently: Are any of our target platforms too limited to implement those techniques?

Also, that response doesn't address the possibility that some of our target platforms may be too underpowered to do anything useful even if its JS implementation is optimized.  (Corollary: We could decide to make the ability to do some basic set of realtime audio processing functionality our baseline for what's an acceptable target platform.)

	-- Chris G.