Re: Authoring practices on mixed content and unsafe redirects.

On 28-Mar-08, at 2:02 PM, Ian Fette wrote:

> Re: 8.3, I'm still not happy with this text. The reality is that a
> ton of sites use TLS to protect the login, and then use a cookie
> over HTTP afterwards. It's a calculated tradeoff based on the fact
> that SSL is still significantly more expensive than unencrypted HTTP
> traffic. Take for instance nwa.com - I log in via SSL, but then I
> get a cookie that works over HTTP. When I go back I can see things
> like my mileage balance, my recently posted activity, etc. I still
> have to give my pin again if I want to change my pin, or if I want
> to make a booking using a stored card etc, but for the most part I
> have the same access as I did with the password. Many webmail
> applications are similar - full access minus a few select things
> (changing password, for instance).
>
> The consumer and provider of the service are much better equipped to
> evaluate that tradeoff than we are. (Well, at the very least the
> provider is well equipped to evaluate the tradeoff, and if the
> consumer desires more security they have the option of not using
> that service, or using a service that does offer SSL for everything,
> but that cost is going to be borne by someone...)

I hear what you're saying here, Ian, but I think I disagree.  Sites
will, of course, do whatever they feel they need to do, and make
whatever tradeoffs they need to make along the way.  I don't think
that's a reason to weaken our guidance to site authors though.

A site which allows me to retrieve sensitive information, or transact
sensitive activities, and which does so without securing the channel,
is putting users at risk by the tradeoffs they've made, and I think
it's entirely appropriate for us to say "Okay, you want to make those
tradeoffs, go ahead, but don't call yourself security-standards-
compliant."

As we've discussed before, I'm not confident that any but the most
scrupulous of site developers are going to look at our guidance here
in the first place, but if they do, we ought to at least be
unambiguous about what the most secure approach is (to the extent we
consider it part of our charter) and let site authors choose to
tradeoff compliance against affordability (or any other business
concern) as they see fit.

Cheers,

Johnathan

---