Re: Odd/bad sentence in 5.4.1

Dan Schutzer wrote:
> Wait, if a certificate does not say revoked, and the system checks for
> whether it is still has a valid expiration date, then we do know if it is
> expired. Doesn't a certificate have on it the expiration date? Can't that be
> checked? So if the certificate is not on a CRL and has an expired date can't
> a program deduce it is expired?

Yes it can. The field is called notAfter and is the cause of useless
and annoying warnings to users that just helps habituate users to
click "ok" thoughtlessly. In many cases, checking notAfter on an SSL
server cert is counterproductive, most especially for SSCs.

However, for sites that should, or are willing to, buy e.g. an EV
cert, then things are more managed, and so an expired cert should be
an error in that case. (Assuming the UA has a good clock.)

S.