Re: Merits of the status quo

On 13-Feb-07, at 3:23 PM, Close, Tyler J. wrote:

> I'm not so sure what to say about the phishing filters. I know of
> several arguments that these filters are in fact worse than
> nothing. The
> recent Stanford user study provides some relevant results.

Yup, I actually argued *against* the inclusion of the filter for a
while, but was eventually convinced that it would be better than
nothing, even with the risk that some users might consider it to be
flawless. More can definitely be done to help dissuade that.

What I'm really eager to see is a report on statistics -- perhaps in
a few months -- showing the efficacy of these filters on the problem.
We have a stimulus, and we have experimental evidence showing
potential effect, but it would be nice to see what effect it really
has in the large.

cheers,
mike