From: public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Brad Porter
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 11:24 AM
To: Hal Lockhart
Cc: Mike Beltzner; Bob Pinheiro; Mary Ellen Zurko; public-wsc-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: "Chrome"

Your separation between semantic chrome and the desktop visual chrome is
genius.  Given that, I propose two phrases with definitions:

window chrome -- visual elements used by Desktop browsers or the OS
window manager to surround the web page

browser-controlled presentation elements -- any user interface
presentation controlled explicitly by the browser and not under direct
web page control

--Brad

Hal Lockhart wrote:

	The key point I tried to make at the F2F was that the
definitions that
	most of us would like to use for Chrome represent the way we
wish
	browsers work or hope they will work in future. For example, a
strict
	separation between what the application can control and what the
browser
	controls seems desirable to most of us, but does not currently
exist, as
	reported by many sources.

	The point of this comment is that first of all, we need to make
this
	clear in our glossary, so as to avoid arguments about current
	violations. Also in evaluating potential definitions, we need to
be
	aware of the present/future distinction. Looking at the thread
below, I
	believe MEZ and Bob have proposed future definitions, whereas
the two
	that Mike found are present definitions.

	I see the choice as being between defining Chrome in purely
graphical
	terms (stuff around the edge of the screen) or semantically
(stuff from
	browser not web site).

	Hal