Re: New Use Case for W3C WSC

I think there may be a tie-in here with Safe Browsing Mode.  Suppose
the user is educated enough to understand that SBM should be invoked
before visiting any banking websites.  Then upon seeing the email,
the user should invoke SBM before clicking on the apparent banking
link.  If that is done, then instead of displaying the ERROR 404
message, the user should see whatever is displayed by SBM when the
user attempts to visit a non-safe website.

But if it is true that "education does not consistently produce the
results desired", then there may be numerous times when even users
who are aware of SBM do not actually invoke it when they should; that
is, before visiting banking websites.  So a question worth asking
might be: can a user's browser be made "smart" enough to sense that a
website that the user wants to visit might possibly be a banking
website?  The user can easily sense this because the Use Case says
that the email claims to be from the user's bank.    If the user's
computer can somehow "read" the email header, it might display a
message saying "I sense that you are attempting to visit a possible
banking website.  However, it is possible that this is a fraudulent
website.  Would you like me to invoke Safe Browsing Mode to prevent
you from visiting a fraudulent site?"  The user could respond, Yes or No.

Some sort of artificial intelligence that could read and interpret
email headers might be needed, possibly triggered by certain
banking-like keywords or phrases in an email header.  I don't know if
such exists, or if it does, whether it is "ready for prime time" and
would produce reliable results.  But it might be one possible answer
to the dilemma of needing to educate users to do certain things to
protect themselves online.