Re: Opera's three security levels

On 27-Nov-06, at 4:30 PM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

> There is no reason why we can't have a more comprehensive intra-
> platform communication mechanism that preserves as much context as
> we might want.

I don't think this is a wacky idea at all, Phillip, or at least, I've
had the same wacky idea, so I'd like to not think of it as wacky :)

This would be a fantastic development, and one that I think is going
to be needed as applications become more and more interoperative.
Right now sending a URL to the default browser is a really "dumb"
operation, and additional metadata would be useful for a wide range
of use cases and applications.

The great thing is that we can prototype this sort of behaviour
immediately by creating an extension that attaches the metadata to
links from web-based email sites.

> The point here is that we can do this without waiting for a
> platform release of Windows. The browser and the email client can
> both adopt this unilaterally and we can progress to the desired
> endstate without ever arriving at an undesirable state.

Good point.

This excites me. I truly believe that the solution is getting richer
metadata from the system to protect users, and then hiding all
signals and ratings of safety and surfacing warnings only when we
know the user is at risk.

cheers,
mike