control, data, users

One of the topics I want to bring up here and at the f2f is how we'll deal
with the issue of level setting around and agreeing on user acceptance and
behavior. It's my belief that this will be one of the biggest difficulties
in coming to concensus; how we'll agree about usability and users. It
would be optimal if we could do some actual user studies, although that
wouldn't cover "users learn" types of arguments. Something to think about,
and I appreciate all thoughts on that topic.

As a side note, I would like to encourage folks to discuss any of the
items on the agenda of the f2f beforehand on the email list, particularly
if they have input and might not make it.

          Mez

Mary Ellen Zurko, STSM, IBM Lotus CTO Office       (t/l 333-6389)
Lotus/WPLC Security Strategy and Patent Innovation Architect

"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com>
Sent by: public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org
10/31/2006 12:28 PM

Timothy Hahn/Durham/IBM@IBMUS, <public-wsc-wg@w3c.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Greetings

The term 'frustrated by the various "artifacts"' reminded me that there is
another important issue here, the insecure clutter that is getting stuffed
into browsers without thought for the security issues.

For example, favicons have been spreading quickly. But there is no bar to
having a favicon that looks like a padlock icon. It is pretty easy to
create a favicon that makes a page appear to use SSL.

We need to have a clear distinction between control and data. Users should
be able to trust the browser to display content in the content window and
restrict the chrome area to data that is trustworthy.

For years people have been telling me that 'users want' flash animations,
etc. that can make whatever use of the user's screen they choose. Now the
same people tell me to use Firefox pretty much because of what it does not
allow.

The control bar on my broswer belongs to me, it should not be possible for
a content provider to disable it.

We have a 'stop downloading' button. Why can't I click that to stop the
execution of Javascript &ct. on a page?

Clearly it will take time to get from where we are to where we want to be.
But it would be nice if there was at least a clickbox that would enable a
single comprehensive set of browser configurations that is secure and
repeatable. Ad hoc constraints on javascript are creating as much of a
problem as the early spam filters that kicked out 10% false positive. If
the set of capabilities was predictable and detectable content providers
would be much better off.