Re: Browser security warning

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:18:10 +0100, Doyle, Bill <wdoyle@mitre.org> wrote:

> It has been fun and interesting working this thread and thanks for
> helping me see some of the issues. Hope that someone else can step in
> about use of OCSP/CRL or I need to go off for some research.

Opera 8+ uses OCSP checking by default for the site certificate, provided
that the CA supports. In 9.x various errors result in a lowering of the
security level, but no warning or error (as opposed to 8.5x). This
modification was done because of stability problems on several OCSP
responders during 2006.

AFAIK, IE7 for Vista also uses OCSP and/or CRL by default. I do not think
MS activated it in IE7 for XP (separate components). IE6 have the ability,
but it is disabled by default.

Mozilla/firefox have the capability to check OCSP and (AFAIK, limited)
CRL, but I am unsure about whether or not they have enabled it in FF2 (it
is not enabled by default in 1.x)

Revocation checking is part of the Extended Validation checks performed by
the browser. See http://cabforum.org for more on that.

--
Sincerely,
Yngve N. Pettersen

Senior Developer                     Email: yngve@opera.com
Opera Software ASA                   http://www.opera.com/
Phone:  +47 24 16 42 60              Fax:    +47 24 16 40 01