Re: Introduction

Hi Everyone,

I'm a software technical lead working on an application that coordinates
the operation of geographically distributed, heterogeneous sensors and
other sensor networks (participating sensors not necessarily defined a
priori). We must insure that our application will operate with a wide
variety of sensors and sensor networks, as well as provide an interface
to our "consumers" so they may make effective use of the overall sensing
capability without having to deal with specific sensor details. One of
our challenges is to have our software reason about individual sensors
(actually about their current readiness states and interface
definitions) so it can determine if/how to satisfy "consumer" goals.
Another is to express the overall sensor capability available at a given
time to our "consumers", where our consumers may be other application
programs. [I've been working with distributed sensors since 1987.]

My introduction to the concept of a standardized, annotated WSDL was at
a WSDL-S presentation at the 2006 Semantic Technologies Conference last
month. I'm interested in seeing annotated WSDL standards and how they
might mesh with our requirements. I'm also interested in hearing
perspectives from others on this topic.

My most significant contributions would probably be in sharing
perspectives from the application domain described above.

Steven Glicker
Ticom Geomatics, Inc.
Austin, Texas USA