Re: issue 6435: v7 of the WS-Eventing state tables

Comments inline . . .

On 1/24/2010 7:02 PM, Doug Davis wrote:

> Overall, they look good.  Just a couple of comments:
> - unless the spec specifically talks about one of the boxes in the
> tables, I don't think it should have anything in that box. For
> example, all of the "generate fault" boxes should be blank since  a)
> the spec doesn't say that a fault neesd to be generated, and b) for
> all of the cases where the spec doesn't say what kind of fault to
> generate it becomes an implementation choice about what to do.  For
> example, the "Create Subscription" trigger for a Sink in the "Active"
> state is out of scope of the spec.

That's what I thought originally but, at the Hursley F2F, I was directed
to fill in every cell with "something". I agree that saying nothing when
you have nothing to say is a good course of action.

> - Expiration/Renewing box for Sink: this one I'm unsure of.  It seems
> to me that until the RenewResponse message is received by the sink
> then it needs to assume that the timer wasn't reset so going into the
> End state would be a better choice.

That makes sense, but then you have to make sure that the
RenewResponse/End cell takes you back to [Active]. That is if you send a
Renew request, then your local expiration timer goes off, then you get a
RenewResponse, you have to consider the Subscription to be "Active".

> - SubscribeRequest/Active and SubscribeRequest/End boxes for Source: I
> think those should be the same as the "Idle" state because regardless
> of the state of any  Subscription, the way a source deals with a
> Subscribe Request needs to be the same.

I don't think I fully communicated what I thought it meant for something
in the "Active" state to get a Subscribe request. Suppose the Event
Source identified subscriptions using reference parameters. What happens
if you get a Subscribe request that has those reference parameters and
their value refers to an already "Active" subscription?

> New version is attached with some other minor edits.

I've attached a new version, with some of your changes accepted. I think
we should just get these tables into the spec and deal with any issues
as they come up.

- gp