RE: issue 7970: new proposal

My first preference is to maintain status quo (no changes).

If we were to change the status quo, either of the proposed approaches (the approach described below or the latest proposal from Avaya) would work.

From: public-ws-resource-access-request@w3.org [mailto:public-ws-resource-access-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Doug Davis
Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 2:05 PM
To: public-ws-resource-access@w3.org
Subject: issue 7970: new proposal

After some talks with Ram about this one, we came up with a new proposal that should allow the usecase I'm concerned about to work while still allowing for the event source to be the one to send out notifications:
- - - - - -
Event Source
A Web service that accepts requests to create subscriptions.

Notification
A one-way message sent to indicate that an event, or events, have occurred. Notifications MAY be sent by any endpoint including the event source.
- - - - - - -

Also, as I was reviewing ws-eventing I noticed some other places where we talk about the event source being the one to send notifications - we should change those too:

During that time, notifications are delivered by the event source to the requested event sink...
-- s/by the event source//

the event source sends only notifications that match the requested filter
-- change to: only notifications that match the requested filter are sent
-- actually, we should change "notifications" to "events" too since we don't filter notifications, we filter events

The event source sends notifications until ...
-- change to: Notifications are sent until...

This specification defines a method for transmitting notifications from the event source to the event sink through the use of the wse:NotifyTo element.
-- s/from the event source//

I don't think these changes any have normative impact on the spec or coding changes.  It just avoid any confusion that they might cause.

thanks
-Doug
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com<mailto:dug@us.ibm.com>