RE: Issue 6413 - just thinking

Geoff,
  what you're describing here is a new form of addressing and clearly
outside the scope of WSRA.  If you honestly believe that a generic
solution can (and should) be developed to solve both the Transfer Frag use
case and the use case you describe below (without painful contortions)
then I would suggest that you write up a proposal that MSFT will submit to
the W3C.

thanks
-Doug
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com

Geoff Bullen <Geoff.Bullen@microsoft.com>
Sent by: public-ws-resource-access-request@w3.org
05/06/2009 04:52 PM

Katy Warr <katy_warr@uk.ibm.com>, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
cc
Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, "public-ws-resource-access@w3.org"
<public-ws-resource-access@w3.org>
Subject
RE: Issue 6413 - just thinking

Hi Katy,

> In theory, I could imagine this might be a possibility but, in practice,
I can't think of a real example.  I'm concerned that we'd create an extra
specification that would never be used outside the context of WS-T.

Many people appear to be saying that because they cannot think of a real
example, therefore none exists, so therefore the WG should not be taking
the fact that an example might exist into consideration.  While this
?ostrich? thinking seems rather odd, especially when making such a
fundamental decision concerning a specification, let?s look at a real
example:

Consider filtering in Eventing (the same reasoning would also work for
Enumeration).
In the example, we have an endpoint that represents a machine (M).
We want to subscribe to events from M ? but not all of them.  How do we do
that?

The basic filtering mechanism in Eventing supports an XPath filter that
will allow subscribers to define a subset of the events from M, based on
the content of the event.

Now consider that M has many sub-resources (fragments).  For example, it
has an operating system, it has hardware ? which, in turn, is made up of a
disk, a CPU, etc.  If M had a new filter type that composed with fragment
access, subscribers would now be able to filter the events not only on the
content of the event, but also on the sub-resource (fragment) that
generated the event (i.e. only be sent events that were hardware related,
for example).  This would be a very useful filter in many situations.

Basically anywhere there is a need to provide a filtering mechanism there
is also a potential need to compose with fragment access.

> Worse still, a high proportion of use cases will require both specs so
ultimately they will be read as a single specification.

Does this really mean ?? a high proportion of IBM use cases ???  The
industry at large has many implementations of Transfer as it stands, and
there are also many other specifications that reference Transfer, so there
appears no real justification for saying that, in general, a high
proportion of use cases require fragment support ? it just is not the
case.

--Geoff