RE: Policy expressions with no wire manifestation

I hope that all of you will review and comment on the guidelines document,
as this is the kind of thing Umit and I were trying to
address with our proposal.  In my opinion, the normative text in the
specifications gives the syntax for optional, and its role in
normalization.
The assertion authors will need to define the semantic of the behavior.

Maryann

Prasad Yendluri <prasad.yendluri@webmethods.com>
09/22/2006 11:46 AM

Sergey Beryozkin <sergey.beryozkin@iona.com>
cc
William Henry <william.henry@iona.com>, Maryann Hondo/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
Anthony Nadalin/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, public-ws-policy@w3.org,
public-ws-policy-request@w3.org, Mark Little <mark.little@jboss.com>
Subject
RE: Policy expressions with no wire manifestation

Fundamentally we need to distinguish between (i) capabilities that a
provider advertises and (ii) the requirements on the clients the provider
specifies. The optional nature really applies to the latter (viz.
requirements). Just because a requirement does not have wire
manifestation, it cannot be marked ?optional?. What if a provider has a
requirement to store the records of the interaction (audit log) for a
specified amount of time, by the client (and the provider). This is not
?optional? and is ?required? by the provider, as a clause for resolution
of a dispute, should one arise later.  This does not result in any wire
manifestation but it is not an optional behavior.

The fact that a requirement (assertion) does not result in wire
manifestation should be (is expected to be) available from the
specification of the assertion (type). Similarly if an assertion is a
capability or a requirement should also be part of the specification of
the assertion (type).

In any case marking assertions with no wire manifestation ?optional?, is
not correct as optional is reserved for behaviors that are optional to
engage, from the perspective of the provider.

Regards,
Prasad