Re: Behaviour of WS-Policy aware clients

Fabian,

Yes I think the discussion needs to continue about capabilities.
And I think we did agree at the F2F to "beef up" the security
considerations section, so hopefully the guidance
will be able to include references to the "cautions" in the spec as well.

Maryann

Fabian Ritzmann <Fabian.Ritzmann@Sun.COM>
Sent by: Fabian.Ritzmann@Sun.COM
09/20/2006 09:36 AM

Maryann Hondo/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
cc
Sergey Beryozkin <sergey.beryozkin@iona.com>, public-ws-policy@w3.org
Subject
Re: Behaviour of WS-Policy aware clients

Maryann, your explanations make a lot of sense when a provider indicates
a constraint as you were saying. But I'm missing a discussion of
policies that indicate capabilities instead of constraints.

I believe you were already saying this, but one more thing that I think
is important to keep in mind is that it is the responsibility of the
entity that the policy is applied to to enforce that policy. In the
common case of a provider with a policy and a requester that wants to
interact with that provider, it is the responsibility of the provider to
enforce its policy. The requester may send any message it likes, it just
shouldn't expect a sensible response if these messages don't comply with
the provider's policy. One should not forget that the requester may well
be a hostile entity that sends invalid messages on purpose.

Fabian