Re: Why we shouldn't make [destination] optional

David Hull wrote:
> As much as I would like to make as many properties optional as possible,
> I don't think that this will work for [destination].
>
> If [destination] is optional, then we have to define behavior for when
> it is missing.

Why and whose behavior?
We do not specify any behavior wrt to the value of the [destination]
property.
If the value is missing, it is just that and nothing more.

>  Unless I've missed something, that behavior will be
> exactly what we're currently defining for anonymous [destination].  But
> since anonymous is available anyway, there will be no real difference
> between leaving out [destination] and using anonymous.  If leaving out
> destination means the same as giving anonymous for [destination], then
> anonymous is effectively the default value, and we might as well just
> say that.

Specifying a default  value that is undefined, as I said during the last
concall, does not make much sense to me. I don't think we should define
a default in the Core that says -- whatever the binding document(s)
says. Keep in mind that the binding document is under no obligation to
define what 'anon' means. If one really need a binding-defined default
value, then one can define that in the binding document, there is no
need for a default value in the Core spec. Additionally, not defaulting
allows one to say -- this property has no value (as none is required).

Specifying a default in the Core means that for a binding that does not
have use of the 'anon' URI has to either: (a) say that 'anon' means 'no
value,' or (b) require that every serialized message that uses the
binding specify the value for wsa:To (i.e., the defaulting case will
never arise) -- defeats the purpose of defining a default.