Re: Proposal for CR33

Anish, Doug --

This seems like an elegant solution. I like the shift in focus from
prescription to permission. This presumably includes the ability to use
[reply endpoint] = none, which is a non-addressable URI (I think this is
CR32).

What happened to the faults to allow reaction by a conformant service to
a non-conformant client? I assume this has been discussed already.

Can I confirm my understanding of how this would play when using RM
MakeConnection?

If the contract is: service will accept RM anon URI, and will accept
MakeConnections, then this could be expressed by a WSDL interface
containing 1..n endpoints that support back-channel responses, plus an
endpoint for MakeConnection that mandates a back-channel response. This
would (roughly) signal to the client that the service is able to
converse via RM polling.

If RM wanted to go further, it could add a WSDL or policy declaration
that means "I understand WS-RM anon URI; the sender can get messages
that ensue on this operation, via MakeConnection". That is outwith
WS-A's concerns.

* * *

I'm left with one question, which I've raised before. Does the use of
WS-A anon as the value for the response endpoints, permit an empty (no
SOAP envelope) response (just an ack)?

The answer to this question does not directly affect the proposed
solution to CR33, but it is relevant to understanding whether WS-RM was
compelled to invent its own anonymous URI.

Another way of looking at the question, from a WSDL angle: is [reply
endpoint] = WS-A anon compatible with WSDL 2.0 MEP In-optional-out
(which is the natural MEP for the MakeConnection use-case)? In the WS-A
SOAP Binding I see at least a strong implication that the standard WS-A
anon URI precludes an empty response.

Yours,

Alastair