RE: [i061] WSA WSDL Binding Issue (Action without UsingAddressing)

I have an action to synthesize these options into a single proposal.
First some analysis.

My assumptions are:
1) Using WSDL 2.0 as a guide, an attribute extension alone cannot cause
required changes in messages.
2) Other mechanisms may be in use to indicate that addressing is in use
than <wsaw:UsingAddressing> (e.g. a policy assertion or an extension for
another protocol which profiles WSA headers); such mechanisms could
conceivably define actions inconsistent with wsaw:Action attributes
though that doesn't seem wise.
3) Clients and services can put in any old headers they want.
4) Headers marked mustUnderstand, but not indicated as required in the
contract, might cause faults.

The interaction of WSDL, the WS-A WSDL spec, SOAP, and the contract
including (but not limited to) a particular WSDL, lead to three overall
scenarios:

WSDL includes <wsaw:UsingAddressing wsdl:required="true"/>.
  Client MUST (according to WS-A WSDL spec) insert actions as defined
  by wsaw:Action and the defaulting mechanism in this spec.  Failure
  to do so MUST (according to WS-A WSDL spec) be reported by an error.
  mustUnderstand can be set or not, but the server MUST NOT (according
  to the contract) generate a mustUnderstand error on these headers.
  A message coming from the service MAY (according to SOAP) contain wsa
  headers, these headers MAY (according to SOAP) be marked as
  mustUnderstand, and MUST (according to WS-A WSDL spec) use the values
  defined by wsaw:Action and the defaulting mechanism.

WSDL includes <wsaw:UsingAddressing wsdl:required="false"/>.
  Client MAY (according to WS-A WSDL spec) insert actions as defined
  by wsaw:Action and the defaulting mechanism in this spec.
  mustUnderstand can be set or not, but the server MUST NOT (according
  to the contract) generate a mustUnderstand error on these headers.
  A message coming from the service MAY (according to SOAP) contain
  wsa headers, these headers MUST NOT (according to the contract) be
  marked as mustUnderstand, but MUST (according to WS-A WSDL spec) use
  the values defined by wsaw:Action and the defaulting mechanism.

WSDL omits <wsaw:UsingAddressing/>.
  The client MAY (according to SOAP) add any old headers it wants,
  including wsa headers, using wsaw:Action and the defaulting mechanism
  or not.  mustUnderstand MAY (according to SOAP) be set or not, but the

  server MAY (according to SOAP) generate a mustUnderstand error on
  these headers.  A message coming from the service MAY (according to
  SOAP) contain wsa headers, these headers MAY (according to the
  contract) be marked as mustUnderstand, and MAY use the values
  defined by wsaw:Action and the defaulting mechanism.  A client
  receiving headers marked mustUnderstand MAY (according to SOAP)
  generate a mustUnderstand error.

The last case illustrates why wsa:Action has no normative effect outside
the context of wsaw:UsingAddressing.  I believe option 3 is the only one
that has this property, so I'll simply expand on the text of 3 a bit.

3': Inclusion of wsaw:Action without inclusion of wsaw:UsingAddressing
is purely advisory. In other words, a client MAY include wsa MAPs in
messages it sends to the service, either on the clients own initiative
or as described elsewhere in the service contract.  It MAY use the
values of wsaw:Action in these headers.  Additional mechanisms defining
the value of [action] are under no constraint from this spec to be
consistent with wsaw:Action.

I don't know whether 3 implies any change to the text of the spec, or if
it's clear enough as it is.