Re: TAG requests help with examples of WS-Addressing

Hi Noah,

Thanks for the opportunity for an informal response. Personally, i don't
believe WSRF is a typical example. One typical use that we have found is
to keep contexts.

For example in Apache Axis2[1], we have a "Service Group" which is a
group of services with a shared context. We implement this concept in a
transparent fashion. Please see the attached files (2 pairs of
request/response) generated by the Axis2 test case[2]. The service mints
an EPR with a axis2:ServiceGroupId which is sent back to the server in
the subsequent call. The test case is for the same service, but the
concept is the same for multiple services. So it basically acts like a
cookie.

As regards to WSDL, so far we've seen wsaw:UsingAddressing used inside
wsdl files in some implementations. That's it.

[1] http://ws.apache.org/axis2/
[2]
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/webservices/axis2/trunk/java/modules/integration/test/org/apache/axis2/engine/ServiceGroupContextTest.java

Thanks,
dims

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
> The TAG is trying to learn more about Web Services Addressing and its
> likely uses.  To further our investigations, TAG member Henry Thompson set
> out to create a representative example of Endpoint Reference use, based
> primarily on what he could learn from publicly available sources.  Note
> that Henry claims no deep expertise in WSA, and indeed is trying to learn
> by doing.  Henry's first pass at an example is at [1] (advertised in email
> at [2]).  In part because it contained both samples and a toolkit, Henry
> chose to use the Apache WSRF toolkit [3] as the basis for his work.
>
> The TAG would very much appreciate guidance as to whether this is an
> appropriate first example from which to learn, and if not, where we might
> look to find something more representative.  Among the specific questions
> and concerns that have arisen are:
>
> * If we want to understand typical uses of EPRs, are we doing the right
> thing to start with WSRF-based examples or are there others we should
> consider first?
>
> * Given that the example is WSRF-based, there is some confusion as to
> where the EPR would have come from, and the degree to which the EPR would
> in practice be opaque to the client.  In other discussions it has been
> suggested that EPRs are typically returned from a service provider and
> are, except insofar as the SOAP binding requires them to be re-expressed
> as headers for transmission, opaque to the client.
>
> * Is it typical to have an operation such as sq:TradePriceRequest, as in
> Henry's example, or would it be more common to have a more generic
> GET-like operation such as GetResourceProperty [4]?
>
> * The likely use of WSDL with EPRs is still somewhat unclear to us.
> Henry's example does provide some WSDL, but it's not entirely clear how
> its use relates to Web Services addressing.
>
> The TAG is holding a F2F meeting on Monday and Tuesday Dec. 5 and 6.  For
> the moment, it will be more useful to have early informal input than to
> have a later formal response from the Web Services Addressing Workgroup.
> Any guidance that you can provide us would be much appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Noah Mendelsohn
> - for the W3C Technical Architecture Group
>
> [1]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Nov/att-0008/eprExample.html
> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Nov/0008.html
> [3] http://ws.apache.org/wsrf/
> [4]
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrf/2004/11/wsrf-WS-ResourceProperties-1.2-draft-05.pdf
>
> --------------------------------------
> Noah Mendelsohn
> IBM Corporation
> One Rogers Street
> Cambridge, MA 02142
> 1-617-693-4036

- --
Davanum Srinivas (dims@wso2.com)
VP/Engg, WSO2 (http://wso2.com)
Yahoo IM: dims Cell/Mobile: +1 (508) 415 7509