Re: Syntax options for Async

(Tony modestly downplays his role in producing "Tony's timeline
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/psd/9877189/in/photostream/>" at the async
meeting in Palo Alto)

I'm becoming more convinced that talking about a "backchannel" muddies
the waters.  We've been using the term for a while, but with only an
intuitive notion of what it means.  I would prefer to talk about
"sending to the anonymous address" at the application level and
"request-response" at the SOAP or wire level, as I think these are both
better defined.  The link is that sending to an anonymous address at the
application level means using request-response at the SOAP or wire level.

In terms of the proposal I previously sent out
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-addressing/2005Nov/0051.html>,
the anonymous endpoint (if available) MAY (or possibly MUST) be /used/
for faults in any MEP until the wsa:FaultTo header is understood.  The
rest should work OK, with appropriate changes to the non-normative
notes.  In particular, even an in-only may manifest as a
request-response in the context of SOAP/HTTP (e.g., if an in-only
message contains an unrecognized MustUnderstand header, the receiver MAY
(or possibly MUST) send back a fault as a response).

Or at least, that's how I read the timeline.  If we want some other
reasonable semantics, we should be able to define it just as briefly and
clearly in the framework I gave.