Re: Issue 59 proposal

I'm with Dave on protocol-independent MEPs, though as I've tried to make
clear, I have a bett^H^H^H^Hdifferent approach to them.  As to empty
elements, if I were 100% convinced those elements would always be empty
going forward, I'd be much more comfortable with the list-valued
attribute approach.  As it is, it seems quite plausible that an <async
*binding="..."> element could usefully have something inside it.

FWIW, I'd be fine with a list-valued attribute /defined/ as a shorthand
for the appropriate sequence of elements, but would strongly prefer the
fully-extensible syntax be defined from the get-go.  This is a major
reason why I prefer the whole "list of possible response bindings"
approach, even if to start with we only define what this means for one
particular binding.  The "list of response bindings" syntax can exactly
describe everything the plain always/never/full markup can, but not vice
versa.

Finally, I'll reiterate that as far as I can tell, the issue of how to
describe the semantics of async is largely independent of the issue of
how to mark it up.  I do believe that the "list of response bindings"
markup maps more naturally to the various proposed semantics, and I
consider that another mark in its favor.