Re: content of fault detail

On Jun 13, 2005, at 1:52 PM, Anish Karmarkar wrote:

> From an implementation POV, it is quite convenient to deal with
> SOAP 1.1 and SOAP 1.2 errors/faults in same/similar way. Given the
> stmt pointed out by Jacek in SOAP 1.2 part 1 (that the Detail EII
> is intended for error info related to SOAP Body), I would like to
> suggest that whatever mechanism we adopt to resolve issue LC56 also
> be extended to SOAP 1.2. This would make:
> 1) error processing for SOAP 1.1 and 1.2 very similar (would use
> the same headers for carrying fault details).
> 2) resolve LC 72
> 3) keep the spirit of SOAP 1.2 Detail EII.

IIRC, the quoted text from SOAP 1.2 is the subject of an errata[1]
that strikes the 'related to the SOAP Body'. Given this I don't think
we should adopt the same approach for the two protocols.

Marc.

[1] http://www.w3.org/mid/5A220E02-63EE-11D9-80B7-000A95BC8D92@Sun.COM

> -Anish
> --
>
> Jacek Kopecky wrote:
>
>> Mark, this is not an issue that I personally care about much, it's
>> just that
>> WS-Addressing seems to violate this statement in the SOAP spec:
>> "The Detail element information item is intended for carrying
>> application specific error information related to the SOAP Body." [1]
>> Even though this has been uncovered after the end of the LC
>> period, it
>> should probably be fixed before CR, and the scope of LC56 seems
>> limited
>> to SOAP 1.1, but this should be correct in both supported SOAP
>> versions.
>> Best regards,
>> Jacek
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part1/#faultdetailelement
>> On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 13:06 +0200, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>>
>>> Jacek,
>>>
>>> As you may know, our comments period is over. However, I'd note
>>> that  the issue you raise seems to be similar to that in lc56
>>> [1], and as  such is likely to be covered when we discuss that
>>> issue.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>

>>> 1. http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/addr/lc-issues/#lc56

>>> --
>>> Mark Nottingham   Principal Technologist
>>> Office of the CTO   BEA Systems

>>> Join CEO Alfred Chuang and CTO Mark Carges on June 15 for a
>>> unique online event, giving you the first look at a new category
>>> of enterprise software built specifically for Service-Oriented
>>> Architecture (SOA).
>>>
>>> Register Now.  It's Free!
>>>
>>> http://www.bea.com/events/june15

---
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>
Business Alliances, CTO Office, Sun Microsystems.