From: public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Rich Salz
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 6:59 PM
To: Mark Baker
Cc: public-ws-addressing@w3.org
Subject: Re: NEW ISSUE: EPR comparison rule doesn't support Web services
gateways/routers

> Specifically, if the
> message was really intended to be sent to somewhere else down the line,
> then that's where it should be addressed.  If this isn't a gateway
> scenario, and instead an intermediary scenario, then routing could be
> used to route to the intended destination via the intermediary.

Some other ways to think of it are service virtualization, demultiplexing,
or (my favorite) service-oriented NAT.  For all intents and purposes, a
single host, and perhaps a single URL (or maybe URL prefix) is exposed to
the outside world, and the internal servers and applications are never
directly exposed.

Architecturally, it kinda sucks (although it helps create a market for our
producdts :).  Unfortunately, the script kiddies and criminals have done a
lot to wreck the end-to-end concept.  Even REST suffers.
XML Security Overview      http://www.datapower.com/xmldev/xmlsecurity.html