RE: Thoughts on TAG issue EndpointsRef47

From: Jim Webber <Jim.Webber@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 23:37:07 -0000
To: <tom@coastin.com>
Cc: <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>

Tom:

> Well, what if the publisher of the epr wants to but the
> actual http url as the wsa:to address.  How is this usage
> distinguished by the more abstract "logical" address use case
> you are championing.

Why isn't a http URL logical? It is a logical address that happens to be
resolved by an application-specific combination of DNS lookup and Web
Server at message transfer time. Savas' prior example of using a URN to
address a service hosted on a P2P network is no different really.

> Perhaps we need a "choice" element to distinguish the two use cases.
> There will be many epr
> publishers which want to put a url to direct the http request
> to in the wsa:to field.

I don't agree. All addresses are logical (Paul Downey has a good blog
post which alludes to this:
http://blog.whatfettle.com/archives/000244.html).

Jim