RE: New Issue: wsaw:UsingAddressing as a policy assertion

Jonathan,

I am trying to understand why you are positioning this as a mutually
exclusive decision, WS-Policy assertions vs. WS-Addressing element
extension and speaking of a need for a conversion.

As one of the editor's of the WS-RX tc, let me make the observation that
after all WS-Policy assertions are global elements. UsingAddressing
element/Anonymous element (which we are currently discussing in the wg)
are elements as well. In my opinion, whether we call them
UsingAddressing element vs. WSAddressingAssertion element does not
really change the technical definition of these elements. It would be a
technical fallacy to  present them as two separate beasts. If the
concern is the usage SOAP module, that is a separate debate in my
opinion. Policy assertions for a specific domain are not defined within
the WS-Policy namespace, they are defined within a specific domain's
namespace. We already have that with WS-Addressing.

Therefore, definition of these extensions can be easily used as Policy
assertions. The only thing that is of concern is the expression of
optionality as you have observed, but it seems to me that that could be
easily handled by careful editorial handling without derailing the
timeline.

> We recognize this request poses some timeline challenges, in
> developing
> a version-neutral policy assertion prior to standardization of the
> policy framework, but feel these issues are tractable.

I feel that we should not position the task of the wg to define markup
to indicate that WS-Addressing is engaged as a WS-Policy assertion vs
WSDL extension. Then this boils down to whether your concern is more
related to labelling the document where this element and its semantics
is described as a WSDL binding document instead of a Policy assertion
document. IMO, the contents would be pretty darn similar anyway,
wouldn't they?

I have illustrated, and I am sure you are well knowledgeable in this as
well, that using the same elements as Policy assertions is NOT really an
issue here. Therefore, I am trying to understand what you are really
asking the wg to consider at this point in concrete terms. Not define
the markup or define the markup so that there is no conflict and there
is potential to use it with WS-Policy? ...Change the slant of the WSDL
binding document so it is interpreted as a WSAddressing Policy Assertion
document and its implications when attached to WSDL?

Thanks for the clarification in advance,

--umit