RE: New Issue: wsaw:UsingAddressing as a policy assertion

Below.

Nothing.  In fact there are theoretically infinite ways to describe the
engagement of Addressing, which makes the interop problem complex.

> - why isn't a mapping from the lightweight wsaw: extensions
> into WS-Policy be sufficient for Microsoft's needs? After all,
> it's my understanding that WS-Policy* which are being standardised,
> are all domain specific languages which map into a common way
> of thinking.

That is what I'm asking for, specified use of the wsaw: extensions as
policy assertions.  There's nothing that prevents one from using them as
such today, but there also is nothing that encourages vendors to interop
on such usage.  Today that's not such a problem, but it will be as time
goes on.

> - The phrase "prior to standardization of the policy framework"
> worries me deeply. Is it desirable, or even possible for our
> W3C Recommendation to build upon, normatively referencing
> something which hasn't been standardised, and whose control
> and licensing isn't transparent and open?

Clearly we can't have a normative reference, but I think it is possible
to describe the use generically enough that it could be used in various
policy framework versions.  I think it might be as simple as providing a
QName identifier for the spec as well as a URI.  (The QName
wsaw:UsingAddressing comes to mind. ;-)

> It would be helpful to point the WG at a specification for
> WS-Policy statements used by Microsoft to engage Addressing
> currently (I'm assuming such a thing exists). I'm assuming
> you're considering submiting such a document to the
> Working Group?

We haven't defined an assertion that engages the W3C version of
Addressing.

> As said, I'm not adverse to this approach, and BT is very
> interested in using an interoperable, standardised policy
> language ASAP [1]. I just need to better understand the
> reasons why Status Quo isn't good enough for WS-Addressing.

Our technical preference for this type of descriptive capability relies
on WS-Policy and its successors.  Many other standards groups are
describing the engagement of their SOAP headers using policy assertions,
for instance the specs in the WS-RX, WS-TX, and WS-SX OASIS TCs.  In
this company, having a WSDL extension for Addressing will stand out like
an iceberg in Miami, and complicate processing of complete capabilities
of a service.  Having a unified mechanism is beneficial from user
experience, interop, and implementation perspectives.

The problem I'm highlighting isn't simple, but the point it raises -
that the Recommendation track we're on is likely to be an interim
measure rather than a permanent solution - is I believe essential for
the WG to discuss.

> Paul
>
> http://www.w3.org/2004/09/ws-cc-program.html#tuesday

SOAP