RE: ISSUE 8 : "Clarity and Safety"

Whereas URIs are never abused to send people to a 'non-obvious' site...

I was just trying to address a problem other people had been positing.
It's not a problem for me because I'll only trust EPRs signed by certain
parties. And I'll trust that those parties are giving me the correct URI
and RefProps/Params.

> > The fact that some XML can be assumed to be opaque does not preclude
> > someone from making decisions based on aspects of that XML.
> People have
> > posited that they might have reasons for not wanting to use certain
> > reference property/parameter elements. If this is the case,
> then they
> > need to *not* treat the data as opaque and rather use
> whatever criteria
> > they choose to deterimine whether the data does or does not
> fit those
> > criteria.
>
> I think that it's weird to define them as opaque and then, in the
> yet-to-be-written security portion of our spec, advice people not to
> treat those as opaque, especially as this XML could really be
> anything.

I think they are as opaque as URIs. I can treat a URI as opaque, indeed,
as a user of URIs I am encouraged to do so. However, I often inspect a
particular URI and choose not to follow it based on information I glean
from such inspection.

Gudge