RE: Issue i0001 - Clarification of "identifier"

Steve,

I want to fully understand this scenario, so please let me know where I
have not accurately reflected understand of your scenario.

AIUI, you want to use ResourceID in the same sense that WSDL had been
talking about the "targetResource", that is an identifier for something
behind the interface that is equivalent across interfaces.

The reason you want ResourceId is so that your company software can
determine which resource to do the interface operations on, roughly it's
the object identifier.

The reason you want XML for resourceIds is so that you can have XML
processing software do the determination.

To a certain extent, the resourceId is an implicit argument to all the
operations in your organization.  It adds a second object identifier to
each operation.  Instead of object.operation(arguments), you roughly
want address.operation(resourceId, arguments).

In your context, the resource that is being identified has nothing to do
with the "address" field in the EPR, it is up to your implementation of
RefPs.  In this case, a single ResourceId refP is the identifier.  But
nobody outside the scope of your organization knows that.

To try to do this in a "URI-centric" manner - I specifically do not use
RESTful because I'm not talking about a constrained verb set - you would
need to make the ResourceId available that supports a single identifier
and then the various operations.  Ie, resourceid.operation.  The reason
why this isn't that great from your perspective is 2-fold: 1) to offer
multiple protocol support to the same resource (which isn't mentioned by
your note); 2) to offer multiple interfaces to the same resource with
separate address spaces (your rationale).  In particular, having 2
separate address spaces enables you to manage and deploy your services
in a clean manner.  Comparing the 2 scenarios where a service is
deployed, then another service is added with a separate ACL.

RefP-centric

Service A with interface A(notification) deployed, ResId SGG deployed at
runtime to differentiate.  Security is done based upon the service, ie
notification has a particular acl

Service B with interface B(mgmt) deployed, same resId.  Security is
different for B than A.

URI-centric

Service A with interface A(notification) is deployed, ResId embedded in
Uri.  Security is based upon subset of URI + operation.

Service A is augmented with with interface B, ResId also embedded in
URI.  Security ACL is augmented with interface B operations.

The key difference from a security perspective is that the RefP centric
solution allows security to be on all operations at a given address,
whereas URI-centric requires the interface/operation to be included in
any ACL.  From a software perspective, it is easier to deploy
notification software at A/notification and mgmt software at A/mgmt than
to deploy 2 different interfaces at A.

The above scenario is much more complicated by the multi-protocol
scenario, where there may be many different Address+RefP sets that are
to the same Resource.

It is extremely important to observe that the Reference Properties are
NOT compared by clients for determining equivalence, this is only for
the context of your organization.  There is no scenario in your case
where a client would do something different if it had the same
RefProperty.  There is no "If (refp1==refp2) then {do stuff;} else {do
other stuff;}" scenario at the client.  To say again, there is no
context on the client in which it would do a compare (epr1, epr2).

Further, it is up to other protocols to specify what a client should do
with RefPs that are different.  For example, some hypothetical
WS-MultiProtocol-Callback spec that offered a variety of EPRs for
ReplyTos that were equivalent yet different protocols, would have to
specify what a receiver would do with the different EPRs and the
equivalence rules.

Dave

  _____