Re: i0001: EPRs as identifiers - alternative proposal

Tom Rutt wrote:

> David Booth wrote:
>
>> Tom,
>>
>> The reason is that Reference Properties are intended to be used to
>> address things that -- for all intents and purposes -- represent
>> different Web resources.  (I.e., they have different WSDL, metadata,
>> policy, etc.)

What if multiple "things" can be accesed by that web service , and they
are "identified"
by sending different referenceParms?   Why are reference Parameters not
part of the "identity" resolution?

>> Reference Parameters *could* be used that way -- just as
>> cookies *could* be used that way -- but they are not *intended* to be
>> used that way, nor are they most often used that way.
>>

> If you place a ref parm "<username joe/> in a soap header block where
> the message body has operation with semantic (what is your
> birthdate) will you get a differenent answer from another exchange
> with everything else in the message the same but with
> the ref parm value <username joesFather />?
>
> Tom Rutt

Let me clarify my point:   I understand that reference Properties
distinguish the metadata (i.e., what I like to think of as
web service "type" information) applying to the endpoint, but it seems
that reference Parameters which distinguish the "instance" of
"thing" behind the web service, which is the subject of communication,
are also being used to distinguish "identity".

>>> I do not understand why Reference Parameters would be acceptable but
>>> Reference Properties are not?
>>>
>>> If either is present, they are used to identify the instance of what
>>> is being communicated to?
>>>
>>> Tom Rutt
>>> Fujitsu

Tel: +1 732 801 5744          Fax: +1 732 774 5133