Re: i0001: EPRs as identifiers - alternative proposal

David Booth wrote:

>The question is: What guidance are we giving to the world?
>
>As you point out, we cannot stop people from doing things in ways that
>are anti-Web, nor should we.  For whatever reasons, sometimes someone
>may *need* to address Web resources using something other than a URIs.
>
>But what *guidance* are we giving?  If Reference Properties are kept in
>the spec, we would be *endorsing* a practice that is harmful to the Web
>as a whole.
>
>On the other hand, if we drop Reference Properties, people who really
>need to address Web resources using non-URIs could still (ab)use
>Reference *Parameters* to accomplish the same result, just as they
>sometimes use cookies to do so today.

I do not understand why Reference Parameters would be acceptable but
Reference Properties are not?

If either is present, they are used to identify the instance of what is
being communicated to?

Tom Rutt
Fujitsu

>Thus, they would not be prevented
>from doing what they may need to do, but they would be encouraged to do
>things the Web way.
>

>On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 05:45, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
>

>>Hi David,
>>
>>How can one worry about how this stuff is used .. people are using
>>cookies to identify stuff too but do we worry about that? There's
>>nothing you can do about it; so, don't worry, be happy.
>>
>>I'd say the same applies here; there's an architected role for them
>>and there are all kinds of (ab)uses that people will do. Ain't nothin'
>>we can do about that.
>>
>>Sanjiva.

Tel: +1 732 801 5744          Fax: +1 732 774 5133