RE: i0001: EPRs as identifiers - alternative proposal

You are not given a telephone number specific to your bank account to
address it whenever you want because that doesn't scale for the bank.
Only very few customers (the very-very good ones) may be given a
direct/personalised phone number to access their account.
No-money-in-bank-account-Savas gets the banking service's general phone
number and have to _explicitly_ identify the bank account for which a
balance check is requested (always getting the same "no money" answer
though :-) This scales.

However, this is now turning into an architecture/design discussion but
that's the only way I can think of I can explain the difference I see.

> I'll note that WSDL 2.0 service elements can describe most, if not all
> of the Web resources.
>
> We do Web services so that we can have interactions that are typically
> characterized by sending SOAP messages and has WSDL descriptions, but
> there is no clear technical distinctions between Web services and non
> Web services (such as Web or Semantic Web) technologies.  There are
> marketing differences definitely.

I think we continue to disagree. While I see the role of semantic web
technologies in a service-oriented architecture (semantic descriptions
as metadata for services), I personally see a difference between the
resource-focused Web and a service-oriented world. But we are going to
architecture matters again.

> I think that if you look at the heart of your differentiation, you'll
> find that they are circular or illogical.  Resources are things that
are
> identified by "universal resource identifiers".  Services are things
> that are interacted with in service oriented manner.  Etc.
>
> So, I suggest not trying to differentiate between "services" and
> "resources" for the purpose of EPRs as identifiers issue.

Apologies for starting a "EPRs are addresses of what" thread under this
subject but it seemed relevant.

Best regards,
.savas.